FRCS: The Internship Edition

 

Every doctor has to be a beginner before becoming an expert.

    I passed MBBS and went for internship to Delhi. Base Hospital was a hell-hole back in those days. If you even walk the roads, they said, you will learn medicine. My first rotation: surgery. During my first week in surgery, I had acquired exactly three skills: Holding a retractor. Looking concerned. And nodding whenever anyone mentioned anatomy. The third one was my most developed skill. I had perfected the expression of a man who understood everything while, internally, I was still trying to remember which side of the patient the liver lived on. And if life wasn’t as easy, the unit chief was a tyrant.

    Not the ordinary, garden-variety tyrant who occasionally raised his voice and made resident shudder. He belonged to the old school of surgical dictators who believed that fear was an essential component of postgraduate education and that an intern’s self-esteem was a clinical condition best ignored. His footsteps in the corridor could straighten a slouch, silence a conversation, and make a fully qualified doctor suddenly remember an urgent appointment in another building….., in another city…..

    Then, one morning, while we were trying to look useful in the OT, he came to where we interns were. How many of you have assisted me? Most had. I hadn’t. He asked looking at me. “What about you?” He had already decided I had been sufficiently useless till now. I thought while looking at him. He looked at me with a patience of a ticking bomb. And just when he was about to explode, I replied. "Never!" He looked like a disappointed bomb which has been defused in the last second. And with deathly calm gaze, he said the worst four words that I heard that day. “You’ll assist me today.” The 'me' was the problem.


    My breathing left the building, just like Elvis. But….. I nodded gravely. It was an impressive KILROY nod. It conveyed confidence, commitment, and absolutely no understanding of what was about to happen.

    The case was an open cholecystectomy. My assignment was simple. Hold the retractor. That was it. No suturing. No cutting. No decision-making. Just stand there and hold a piece of metal. I remember clearly the thought that crossed my head, 'What  is the worst that could happen!' Talk of optimism.

    “Scrub up!” said the senior resident. I washed up. And got to the gloves. You know whats funny about surgical gloves. The may have five slots for five fingers but three fingers usually go in one slot and the rest of the slots hang aimlessly like an interns. The chief rolled up his eyes so much that I thought they would go all around and come up from below. “Try again” someone suggested. I did and managed to put all fingers in the correct slot this time. 

    The surgery started. The first five minutes no retraction was required. The next ten minutes, I was excellent. The retractor was exactly where it was supposed to be. I was standing perfectly still. The chief seemed satisfied. He even gave me a wink! I began to believe I had found my calling.

    Then…., my arm started hurting. Not ordinary hurting. Just the kind of pain that makes you reconsider your entire career while maintaining the facial expression of someone who is thoroughly enjoying the privilege of being there. At fifteen minutes, my shoulder was negotiating with my brain. At twenty, my forearm had ceased to be part of my body and had become an independent protest movement. At twenty-five, I was no longer holding the retractor. I was clinging to it for survival. And then, I shifted my grip by approximately two millimetres. 

    The chief looked up. “Why is the liver moving?”

    There are questions in medicine that have perfectly reasonable answers.

    This was not one of them.

    “Because the patient is breathing?”, I asked. Thought a small AFMC humor would do well. It didn’t. He stared at me like a Doberman, who has just seen a small puppy eat from his dish. "Is he not supposed to" asked he, icily. I froze. Retractor slipped. And the liver moved again. To a third person, it looked like a challenge.

    By now, the retractor was trembling in my hands like a tray full of glassware during an earthquake. 

    “Steady!” he barked.

    I tried. 

    "Steady!" He repeated much colder now and looking at me directly

    I tried again. But the more I tried, the more my grip loosened. Like sands on a beach. The tighter you grip, the faster they slip.

    “Look at me!” said the chief. Everyone looked up. I was already looking at him and told him so meekly. I thought telling the truth would be the right thing. 

    My brain was motivated to follow the chief’s order. My arm had other plans. The next few seconds remain available in my memory in slow motion. My fingers weakened. The retractor slipped. For the first time that morning, it demonstrated considerably more initiative than I had. The OT matron caught it before it could hit the assistant or I would have been charged with assault.

    Silence descended upon the theatre. Not ordinary silence. Imagine the silence before the commanding officers gives the order to the firing squad to fire. Everyone was looking at me. Strangely, even I remember looking at myself. Probably my spirit thought it's better to have an out of body experience.

    The chief glared at me. I looked at him. Then I looked at the retractor in the matron’s hand. The retractor, quite unfairly, looked innocent. I, with beads of sweat under my OT cap, indicated to the Matron to give it back. She refused (thankfully)!

    Then I heard a strange voice. The chief hissed. “Can you please leave?” he said. I wanted to say ‘yes’ this but something inside my brain told me not to. And I left much to my relief and also of the rest of the OT. Strangely, I felt a small surge of pride. I had stood beside a surgical tyrant and lived to tell the tale. 

    They say internship prepares you for FRCS—Forceps, Retraction and Cutting Sutures. I eventually became quite good at cutting sutures. As for forceps and retraction, I preferred to leave those to people who still had careers to lose….

Looking competent and being competent are two very different things. 

Internship is where you discover the difference

and, occasionally, discover it in front of your unit chief.


    Like I said, every doctor has to be a beginner before becoming an expert. 

    The problem is that medicine (and life) rarely gives you the privacy to be a beginner. You learn in public, make mistakes in public, get corrected in public, and sometimes get thoroughly humiliated in public. But perhaps that is also how medicine (and life) shapes you. You slowly learn to ask, to observe, to try again and, most importantly, to laugh at the person you (or your teachers) once were. Because somewhere between the trembling retractor (or your job), the angry chief (or your boss), and the sutures (or problems) you cut, you realise that being a doctor was never about knowing everything. It was about being willing to keep learning. The same goes for being alive.....

Comments

  1. Awwwwww. Thank you for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing way to draw parallel between life and medicine, excellent 👏👏

      Delete
    2. very well-written and relatable experience, sir. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. A very picturesque piece of text Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Atul, what an excellent narrative. Brilliant piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So relatable... brought back memories from own days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have such stupid but wonderful memories which have helped us become what we are

      Delete
  5. well written and relatable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great read Atul. Brings back some old memories
    Holding the retractor was ok. But my HOD decided to aspirate from a Swollen gall bladder and refused to listen to anyone that it can be done after removal. Sure enough he went in with a 10 cc syringe , we all were scared and then a loud ouch. I had left my retractor and was cursing below my breath holding my hand. He had actually pricked me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely written.
    I just got reminded of my ordeal while pulling the retractor in open cholecystectomy as an intern.
    Just the same being very brave the initial 10-20 minutes and then it starts slipping.
    Twice the professor pulled it back into position and and asked me to hold it still.
    Arms and hands ached like anything. It seemed like ages. And why do they give it to an intern I don't know. It seems the surgeon thought of me as being quite devoted but he should have checked if I was able bodied to hold it. Seemed like Karna resting Parshuram's head in his lap while he enjoyed his nap and I had the bites felt on my arms.

    Exactly what I went through but I survived the ordeal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well written. Jiggled my memory of the day I assisted HoD Ortho (he was despised by all and sundry).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Col Samrendra NarayanOctober 2, 2026 at 7:18 AM

    Dear Atul, Very interesting and relatable incident and exceptionally well narrated. You have a gift of story telling. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was such an amazing read, sir. brought back the memories of golden days. I could actually reminisce my own tyrant Surgeon 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Atul, so relatable

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully worded , you turned the Operation theatre into a climax from a Bollywood thriller .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unordinary. Original. Authentic. Good narration

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sir your narrations have been a pleasure to listen to but I never knew your writing could carry such power to imagine the scene. This is a truly remarkable piece, and I hope the tyrant has had the chance to read it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome dear Atul. Keep your literary skills sharper than the scalpel you missed out on

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very well articulated Sir & so much relatable 👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sir,
    You took us through a similar journey again, and we could easily find ourselves in the same shoes. Very well written Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very amusing and absolutely right doctor sahab.... perhaps these type of experiences take in every job where a newcomer has to face different situations...I really loved to read this story of yours.. thanks for sharing your experience 🙏
    .

    ReplyDelete
  19. a very beautifully written article, covering the various facets of initial years, following the basic MBBS course. compliments to you for your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent depiction of a real world behind OT walls and wards. Kudos dear

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent depiction of a real world behind OT walls and wards. Kudos dear

    ReplyDelete
  22. The theatre always has its stories… dramatic, scandalous, and funny. Yours was truly theatrical Atul, way to go from dwindling retractors to saving real lives!! I have seen you as an intern, and then as a DM resident and it’s nice to see you grow from a badmash baccha to writing great stuff, that’s the journey you should be proud of!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You write really well Atul, you always had a way with words...I think the time is ripe for you to write a fun book 😊💐🍻

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very well penned down the experience as a intern. I can very relate to my PG days rather than intern.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Atul, this is a wonderfully vivid account of those early days when confidence arrived before competence! The trembling retractor, the “disappointed bomb,” and the chief’s icy “Why is the liver moving?” made me smile. Beneath the humour is a generous truth: every experienced doctor was once a beginner, learning in public, making mistakes, and finding the courage to try again. Those anxious moments can feel enormous at the time, yet years later they become stories we cherish—and lessons that keep us humble. Thank you for turning an intimidating OT memory into such a warm, funny reflection. I’m sure many of us have an internship or residency story we’ll never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Madhav Madhusudan SinghOctober 2, 2026 at 8:01 AM


    Atul, this is a wonderfully vivid account of those early days when confidence arrived before competence! The trembling retractor, the “disappointed bomb,” and the chief’s icy “Why is the liver moving?” made me smile. Beneath the humour is a generous truth: every experienced doctor was once a beginner, learning in public, making mistakes, and finding the courage to try again. Those anxious moments can feel enormous at the time, yet years later they become stories we cherish—and lessons that keep us humble. Thank you for turning an intimidating OT memory into such a warm, funny reflection. I’m sure many of us have an internship or residency story we’ll never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So well articulated first hand experience..bravo sir

    ReplyDelete
  28. Superb and excellent description of events. Delightful reading.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazingly described Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really enjoyed reading this. Very relatable and very well written Atul.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful reading my dear FRCS..😇😇

    ReplyDelete
  32. The part where its about wearing the gloves … so relatable sir
    And its comparison with interns....

    ReplyDelete
  33. a wonderful narration . Truly miss you

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful read atul Reminds of my intern days At Kgmu Being a govt college must have been far less strict but difficult posting was Gynaec you were made to rum to collect lab reports and request your medicine senior by gong personally to c the reference from Gynaec unit
    Surgeon were always Royal om there emergency night duty would offer lavish dinner of your choice only caveat was that you have to get it from nearby eateries. We enjoyed internship more as we were the last batch who got pg based on MBBS merit Thanks atul. For reminding those days

    ReplyDelete
  35. beautifully written sir. so refreshing..

    ReplyDelete
  36. One-dr-ful !! Seemed I was standing in the OT watching the whole scene and your expressions too. Hope you are writing a book

    ReplyDelete
  37. Excellent write up Sir..I too had similar share of training in Surgery on OT day n first surgery was more of preparation for FRCP (Forceps Retraction Continuous Pulling) n Test of your both physical n mental strength.. Enjoyed reading, keep Writing Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  38. So nicely described!
    One thing that we all acquired from our Surg tutor was temper along with few Surg skill of course 😁

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sir, it's a fantastic read .... you've a literary gift .... 🫡👏👏👏😊

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful reading, Sir...you surely possess the talent of narrating such anecdotes in humorous way...and the way you form the analogy of these incidents with life shows how deep thinker you are....

    ReplyDelete
  41. Atul, you are an amazing storyteller with a vivid power of expression. Very well written. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  42. Nice. Strong memory and detailed description.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very well written sir. I think every intern or junior resident would relate.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sir, very nicely penned.. we do all have our quota of stories .. but to put them in these beautiful words is indeed credible

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow Atul… You surely have very fond memories of your good old college days.
    Might take from the story- keep learning

    ReplyDelete
  46. Sir wonderful read indeed and beautifully penned

    ReplyDelete
  47. Very well written, Atul. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the narration. It was so relatable and brings back so may memories of internship days.

    ReplyDelete
  48. What an excellent way to present humorous side of internship and medical profession at large . Well done Atul . Keep writing. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hilarious...made me laugh out loud
    The whole incident seemed in real time.... Regards

    ReplyDelete
  50. Well articulated…👏👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  51. One-dr-ful !! Seemed I was standing in the OT watching the whole scene and your expressions too. Hope you are writing a book 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  52. Bravo. Thats a brilliant piece and so vivid. Probably the story of many of us. Learning in public , in all humiliating glory is what differentiates between the men and boys at times. More power to your pen / key board.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?
I’d love to hear your thoughts—feel free to leave a comment below and join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Swing, Miss, Repeat — How Golf Kept Me Sane (ish)!!

When Durga Whispered....!